Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Tears of Joy

Have you ever been so happy it brings tears to your eyes? I can't even begin to count the times that I've just started crying as I snuggle Kaylee. It's amazing to think that I brought this little girl into the world, it almost hurts how much I love her. And then she goes and does something that just about breaks me; like fussing in her bouncy seat trying to sleep and the moment I pick her up she passes right out in my arms with a big sigh.

We have our trials, like not latching on when she's sooo hungry and screaming until we both get it right. Or not falling asleep for three hours, and then having to feed her again and she passes out in two seconds flat once I try. But I feel that I just have to get her to eat something, so take a cold washcloth to her face to wake her and boy does that make for a red screaming baby. At least she eats.

Then there's how adorable Galen is with her. I know already that if he wasn't able to be here 24/7 with me these first few weeks I would have a completely different experience. Our routine really starts with dinner. We eat dinner together every night, the time is just determined when Kaylee is done eating. Sometimes the baby is asleep and sometimes not, but Galen is great with bouncing her on his lap and eating at the same time. Once dinner is done I head straight to sleep and Galen stays up to get Kaylee to sleep. I set the timer for 4 hours at the start of feeding Kaylee, so by the time dinner is done I have about 2.5 hours to sleep. Then it's wake back up, feed Kaylee, pass her off to Galen and go back to sleep for 3.5 hours. Now sometimes in this block of time Galen will go to bed, sometimes not. Recently it's been not. So rinse and repeat for another 3 or so hours of sleep. Then it's my turn to be up and Galen sleeps. If he isn't up by 12-1pm or so I'll get him up, just so we don't mess up our schedule too badly. This morning I was up by 7am and I might take a little nap before waking Kaylee up at 1030am to eat again. And the cycle continues! But at least I have a quiet morning to type such a long post.

Oh, and Galen can get the greatest burps out of her! I rarely can and it's a little frustrating but we determined that she sits differently on his shoulder because he doesn't have a huge boob in the way. Ah well, I feed her and he burps her. Fair enough.

jamie

No comments: